Tuesday, 28 August 2012

DIY Wedding - Is it a good idea?

I think I must have gone a little bit mad, as after having a 'discussion' with my other half about the cost of various items for our wedding next year, I am contemplating making some of the things we need myself. Now, this was not in my plans!

I was quite happy to get everything made (as I'm not really that crafty, wish I was!) but on discovering that a few of the things I want are completely out of budget I'm going to attempt to do some of it myself. As if I really have the time!

I'm thinking of making my own invitations and other wedding stationery (table names, place cards, table plans, menus etc) as well as wedding favours, some decorations and even... *I hold my breath as I write this...the cake!

For some people this amount of craftiness would be heaven, for me...hmmm, well I'll let you know! In my head everything I foresee making will turn out wonderful and super stylish, but it's turning that image into a reality that may just be very stressful, ending in eventual disaster.

My wedding is not until next June, so I have time to practise and perfect (!) but I'm wondering if I'll end up spending as much money on failed attemps and stuff I don't need as I would have done if I'd have just paid to get everything made. (If I do, it's his fault!).

I will keep you updated with my progress, but if anyone had any advice or words of wisdom do let me know!

Jill. x

3 comments:

Elise said...

DIY weddings are great. I made almost everything for mine and it meant we could have everything we wanted rather than a shop bought compromise. A lot of stuff worked out cheaper too!

Lisa said...

Good luck with the wedding. I would love to set a date for ours for next year but haven't even got that far. I would like to do a lot of the things myself so that they are personal to us, but I'm not an avid crafter either. Hope all goes well and will keep an eye on your progress (in case there is anything that I would like to pinch) lol

Jill said...

Thank you for your comments, I'm certainly going to give it a go! I've ordered a couple of things already to get started with my crafting and I'm hoping they'll arrive in the next couple of days so I can start experimenting.

The sooner I know what's possible and what isn't the better :)

I'll keep you updated.

Post a Comment