Monday, 4 March 2013

The Fast Diet - Intermittent Fasting

In a bid to lose a few extra pounds before my wedding in June I've embarked on the popular Fast Diet also known as the 5:2 diet. If you haven't heard of it the diet involves fasting on 2 non-consective days and then eating normally for the rest of the week.



On the fasting days you can only eat (and drink) 500 calories for a woman and 600 calories for a man. But on the other days of the week you can just eat as you normally would.

I am not a fan of diets and have never really followed one strictly before. I think I eat fairly healthily and I am not overweight so this appealled to me as something I can integrate in to my lifestyle with the aim of shifting just a few extra pounds.

The diet claims to have other benefits too including helping reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer, two illnesses being prominent in my family. I lost my Father to cancer when he was just 59 and I lost my Mother to heart failure when she was just 65. Which gives me extra incentive to lead a healthy lifestyle. Having lost both my parents by the time I was 25 I would love to be around as long as possible for my son and anything that could help me acheive this is worth a try.

I've only been doing the 5:2 for a couple of weeks and so far I have to admit I am finding it a struggle. I get so hungry! The book does say it will get easier and I am really hoping this is the case as I would love to intergrate intermittent fasting into my life as a life style change and long term goal.

I will be writing a review of the book and the diet for morethanmummies.com once I've completed a couple more weeks and seen what results I get!

If you are interested in the diet check out the book. The Fast Diet by Dr. Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer. Available on Amazon:

Jill. x

2 comments:

Sophie Davis said...

Hi Jill - Like yours, both my parents died far too young from cancer and heart disease. Like you, I'm not overweight, and I eat healthily, but I am conscious that, as I get older, the pounds are creeping up.

I saw a fascinating documentary about this type of dieting and it had me convinced at the end of it that the benefits were worth considering. That said, I haven't done it myself as I find it incredibly difficult having to feed a growing daughter and a hungry husband, while I have just 500 calories for two days!

I am, however, intrigued by your efforts and will watch with much interest your progress and perhaps I'll be persuaded to give it a go after all!

In the meantime, I wish you all the luck in the world and well done for trying!

Jill said...

Hi Sophie,

Thank you for leaving a comment.

I will try to keep updating the blog with my progress, I am hoping it will become easier as the weather gets warmer and salads become more appealing.

I watched the programme too as there was also one one exercise, involving high intesity interval training, which I'm also doing! Kind of :) Maybe not as often as I should...

...but I will keep trying with everything.

Post a Comment