Wednesday 27 May 2020

Desiccated Coconut Loaf Cake

I've managed to get more flour! So back to baking. I've really enjoyed making a weekly cake, it's given me some time to myself practicing something I've never been very good at.


I search for recipes to fit my ingredients but always find I have to adapt them slightly to fit what I have available and then I cross my fingers and hope for the best! Even if the results aren't perfect they've so far always been edible.

Today was my first time making a coconut loaf cake. I love coconut, and this cake is now my new favourite!

Ingredients

125g softened butter, cut into cubes

225g plain flour

1 tsp baking powder

110g caster sugar

100g desiccated coconut

2 large eggs

4 tbsp milk


Method

Pre-heat oven to 140C (fan). Line a loaf tin or grease with extra butter.

Weigh the flour, mix in the baking powder and then add the cubes of butter, mixing with fingers until the appearance of fine breadcrumbs. This gives the cake a light, crumbly texture.


Pour in the sugar, coconut, eggs and milk and mix really well until all elements are combined. If it's still really dry add a little more milk.

Add the mixture to the prepared loaf tin and bake for 50-55 minutes. If you want to add some extra coconut to the outside of the cake, remove after 30mins and sprinkle on some extra dessicated coconut. I didn't do this as I've got children that make enough crumbs as it is without adding extra bits of flaky coconut!


To test if the cake is fully baked, test with a skewer (if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked through), and if ready leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment